Sunday, December 29, 2013

1880s Court Presentation Gown

Last June I was attending the Dress U Court Dinner.  I needed a Court gown!  For fun I had been researching late Victorian Court etiquette and dress, and decided upon an inspiration gown from The Met:


                                           

I found some champagne satin and matching tulle and set to work using Truly Victorian patterns.  Since the TV trained skirt pattern wasn't out yet, I had to wing the long court train, which was typically 3-4 yards long in the mid 1880s (!!!).  Mine is detachable.

I had to hand pleat and hand set sequins on the net trim.




The train is 4 yards long and made of white and silver brocade lined in champagne satin.  I even made the requisite court feathered headdress and carried a feather fan and bouquet.

The New York Times, 1902:



Mrs. R.J. Kennedy in Court Presentation attire, 1898
Courtesy of Lafayette Studios, V&A Museum
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1158_lafayette/









1 comment:

  1. Le Sigh....I am so jealous of this dress. You have so done this dress justice! Everything about it is spot on and perfection!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I wish I could have been there to see you come down those stairs!!! The pictures take my breath away...

    ReplyDelete