Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mill Farm 18th c. riding habit

I'm finally going to Ft. Fred!  Will it be cold or hot?  Who knows!  I decided to make a cotton riding habit.  If it's warm, I won't roast, and if it's chilly, I can throw a cloak over it.

I found a pretty lilac cotton at Jomar, but it's not very hefty, which I think a habit needs, so I was advised to at least interline the front pieces with something mid-heavy weight.  I have a cotton canvas remnant, so it should be enough to do that.  It'll be lined in beige linen.  I spent 4x as much on the lining because I got sucked into having a historically accurate lining fabric.  I'm silly sometimes!

For the pattern, I heard the Mill Farm pattern was pretty good, so I'm going to try that.

I washed and ironed all the fabric, and I've cut almost everything out, so I need to get sewing!

Is it possible I haven't posted in a year??  I don't believe it!

Using the Truly Victorian early Edwardian patterns, I made this 1903-ish evening gown and corset (corset under gown ;) ) from black sequined net over black taffeta

I made a fun 1890s day suit for a Mad Hatter's Tea by combining the Truly Victorian 1880s riding habit bodice front, Truly Victorian 1885 curiass bodice back, and  the sleeves and skirt from Simplicity 4156 with a harlequin print cotton:

Here's my inspiration:

I made a 1920s day dress for the NY Jazz Age Picnic - self drafted using graphic black and white cotton and red piping.

A regency outfit using the Sense and Sensibility wrap bodice gown pattern and the Timely Tresses Virginia bonnet pattern

An early bustle outfit using Truly Victorian patterns.  Still have to trim that skirt!

A Regency chemisette using the Simplicity 4052 pattern

A regency evening gown from the Sense and Sensibility Regency gown pattern of dusty purple satin and black net with silver beads and sequins

bodice detail of silver metallic sequin braid trim

For the Francaise Dinner this year, I wore the same black brocade sacque dress, but I added new mitts and a muff!  I also made muffs for my friends.  Muff pattern from Stephanie Pool, mitts pattern by Mantua Maker (and adjusted to fit my little wrists).

Here are all three muffs I made; Photo courtesy of

Here's a detail of my "portrait" muff.  I used dark fabric photo transfer paper as advised my a fellow costumer, ironed it onto my fabric, and sewed trim around to hide the edges

An Elizabethan partlet from a pattern shared by

For the Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit at the Franklin Institute in March, I made a 1912 suit from the Wingeo #410 suit jacket and skirt from the Butterick B4092 from gabardine and cotton velvet.  the suit jacket was VERY square and ill fitting.  The recommended size was several sizes too big in the shoulders, bust, and waist.  I also clipped down the lapel which went past my armcseye.  I added cuffs and made the jacket front a "cutaway" style popular at the time.

I think that's it so far since I last posted.  Apologies to anyone still watching this blog!  I promise to be better about keeping it up.